Bowman Family Nemacolin Castle in Brownsville, Pennslyvania Christmas Tour 2016

December 16, 2016


Christmas decorations fill the primitive and fancy rooms of the Nemacolin Castle, once built and occupied by Jacob and Isabella Bowman and their nine children. The castle started out as a small trading post in the mid to later 1780's. 



No matter how many times I visit the castle year after year I am left with a feeling that I REALLY need to go back in time to see what day-to-day life was like for the Bowman family, and their son and grandson who later inherited the castle home.  The conversations, the attire, the celebrations, the food preparation, landscape, and even the politics of the time would likely not have intrigued me as much as they do now. I guess that's what makes history lovers history lovers, we are more intrigued by the past than we are with the present.


The castle has many of the original furnishings that belonged to the Bowman family. And from one room to the next you can see the changes made as the family acquired  more wealth, going from the simplicity of colonial style to the more fancy Victorian style. 
,


I can't help but wonder what Jacob and his wife Isabella would think of additions that were later added by their son Nelson, and his wife Elizabeth. Nelson added the east wing and the tower. And I am only guessing here that it was Elizabeth who had changed the style of the rooms from Colonial to Victorian, because today it's often the women who decorate.


The closer I was to the end of the tour the more I felt a bit of of melancholy that I would be leaving. The spirit of Christmas was overflowing; the feeling of  another time period was soul enriching. My heart yearned to be more in the period, however, the rational part of my mind said "No, it is not possible."


There are other tours at Nemacolin Castle when the castle is not decorated for the holiday, and when more of the focus seems to be the architecture. And there are fall ghost tours, summer tours, and celebrations during the National Road Pike festival the 3rd weekend of May every year.


I do hope you take the time to visit this majestic castle that overlooks the Monongahela River. There's always an appreciation and respect one is left with both of yesterday and today (we are tomorrow's history, after all). It's important to preserve what we can of any period of time. And I thank those who continue to put their time and effort into keeping this place a beacon of beauty for all to visit. 

I am not a history expert, only a history explorer. If anything posted her is found to be incorrect, I would appreciate your bringing it to my attention so I may correct it. I try to only post what I know to be true.

Thanks for visiting!



13 comments:

  1. Omy goodness...I can't even imagine living in such a beautiful place. thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is absolutely beautiful. I could live in this castle...even in the room in your first picture. That is how I want my living room to look. Hope it's okay to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is all so beautiful! What a lovely tour! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous home! I love touring places like that and how special to see it decorated for Christmas. There is a similar but smaller home near me that is being renovated to be a Bed & Breakfast. I got to see it in it's before state which still had a lot of furniture and original wallpaper. It is being renovated by dear friends of mine so I hope to see it all done also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful home tour! I love visiting old homes, especially during the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a lovely tour of this castle, your words and photos brought it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely home. I appreciate historical architecture, so your post is very interesting to me. I'm intrigued by the marble fireplace in the fourth set of photos. It is very similar to the one in the home my parents owned when I was a teen-ager. It wasn't a working fireplace and didn't have the hearth, but the rest of it is remarkably like theirs. I would be most comfortable living in the colonial part of the home. That first photo really speaks to me. Thanks for sharing. I agree that we should preserve these historical structures. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank your for visiting. It seems we all have something in common, a love of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to discover your blog Lisa and many thanks for visiting mine.
    Such a gorgeous home and decorated so beautiful at Christmas - thanks for showing us.
    Happy New Year and best wishes for 2017
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I've never been, but your article has convinced me to go as soon as I can. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting. I know if you visit the castle you will love it. There is a great local restaurants too while your over that way, called 'Twelve Oaks Restaurant and Tavern'. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, the castle is beautiful. The Christmas decorations look lovely. I would love to take a tour of this castle. I agree these treasure need to be preserved and treasured. Happy New Year to you and your family. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lisa, thank you so much for your visit and kind comment on my blog! I post on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. You have a truly lovely blog and all your photos are gorgeous and heartwarming! And I love seeing all the Christmas decorations, too! Thank you so much for sharing, and Happy New Year to you! :)

    ReplyDelete