Heartbeat

January 19, 2015


I am home alone and lying on the couch. I pull the cover to my chin and stare into total darkness. Everything is quiet. Thump, thump, thump, except my heart. I listen to the thumping in my ear. It is loud, and apparent that my heart wants attention. And since that is all I can hear, I focus on it, fixedly, with my eyes closed. Thump...thump...thump. 

I am alive, aware, comfortable, well.

With my thoughts still on the music of my heart, my bare feet stretch out to gently push against the chest our sleeping dog “River” , for more warmth; she is lying at the opposite end of me on the couch. Straightaway I feel the rhythm of River's heart through my foot, beating 3 times faster than mine. She is calm, yet her heart rushes. And though I know the fastness of her heart means only one thing, that her life will be shorter than mine, I focus on the sound of us as we are living. I focus on the life of her heart and mine, together, now, beating.

I realize that there are five hearts beating in my house most times, four that are human. But I never hear them because the music of other things is often playing: someone talking; building, cooking, cleaning, all of which make some sort of noise that drowns out the sounds of our hearts. And though I cannot hear anyone's heart beating when I hear these things, the sounds are hums of life nonetheless, and they remind me that a heart must still be beating around me in order for me to hear those noises. To this I can say I am thankful for the gift of hearing, and for the gift of company.

My feet are much warmer as they sink further below River's chest. This beautiful little life stretches out so she too can be more comfortable, yet still be nearby and touching me.

Love hard, is all I can say. And listen to life.


The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature. -Joseph Campbell


8 comments:

  1. Oh my heart!

    I love that quote from Joseph Campbell. If we could only have that same goal. Must be one epic life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! The beat of our hearts, our breathing... it's important to connect with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely blog you have here. Some beautiful reflections on this cold winter day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had your level of concentration, because I get easily distracted and often end up "multi-tasking," when I should follow your example and focus on the task at hand instead. I especially like your description of your dog; I had a dog when I was growing up, and there was something comforting about having my dog sleep at my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's merely a choice on whether or not you want to allow yourself to tap into that level of concentration, and how long you want it to last. Sometimes the mind gets so used to doing something that it needs outside help (nature) to shut it down and restart it. :)

      Delete
  5. Hello, Lisa. It is no accident that you commented on my Blog so that it would lead me to yours! What you've written so beautifully about the heart expresses what I've come to learn in the past few years. The heart is a fascinating organ that emits an energy field that can "communicate" with others (see Institute of HeartMath). We really do need to pay more attention to our hearts. When I developed pulsatile tinnitus (where one hears one's heartbeat constantly) I knew it was meant to help me focus on life itself. But after a while one can become so accustomed to something one can start taking it for granted. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for visiting and taking the time to comment. Cathy-I believe it when you say the heart can communicate. This is why I chose to say my heart was "knocking" instead of thumping, as if to say "Hello, is anyone home. I came for a visit." :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to have a focus on the hearts in a home.

    ReplyDelete