July 3, 2013

Art Painting Drawing Learning Inspiration Copying Studying Original Reproduction


Every artist speaks some form of emotion in whatever they paint, whether they are a beginner artist or a master painter. I've always believed that it’s up to the viewers of a painting to decide whether her or she wants to see something special in it. For me personally, I know I put my feelings in to everything I create, in hopes that others  will see what I see and feel what I feel. Mostly though, I want the viewers to form their own story at first glance, or over time when passing the painting over days, months, or years. A believe a painting can have more than one story.


My four-year old niece drew and painted an angel that looks like an uneven sausage with lobster arms. Most children her age draw and paint the same way, very simplified. Her painting was very special to her, as expected, judging by her smile when she completed it. I realized, too, that perhaps at this youthful age ones ego begins to rear its head. She wanted it framed, put up for sale, and given a grand payment for it! All of this only shows that she has yet to understand human proportions and the value of money. But then, do these things really matter if one loves to paint? 

What is most fascinating though, is to watch her create something by mere heart, no references from which to copy or be inspired. She just sits intently in my chair in my art room using gobs of paint to which she adds her favorite medium: glitter. She also adds buttons, paints, paper flowers, and jewelry to her pieces. All of these items seem to explode on the paper, and her paintings appear to come together without much thought-yet I know many children rush when they want to use another blank piece of paper;there's just something about a blank canvas....  

I am reading a book called “Leonardo on Art and the Artist” by Leonardo Da Vinci. He was an Italian painter, scientist, sculptor, and architect, as you probably know. According to the book, Leonardo believed that the art of painting declines from age to age and is lost if painters have no other guide than what painters have done before them. On uniqueness and originality he believed that an original work of art remains precious and unique and never brings forth offspring that equal it. He does not say this for the painters who want to become rich from their art, but for those who want to acquire honor.

It is always interesting to hear what master painters from the past think about art, inspiration, and techniques, as well as it is to learn these things from modern artists. I hope to read more art history books in the future in hopes of being inspired to always support originality. I also believe we can learn something about art from small children, too; most children's art appears the same, yet no two are exactly alike. 

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.~Pablo Picasso